NRL Betting in Australia: Odds, Tips, Previews
The National Rugby League (NRL) is unquestionably the biggest and most popular competition in Australia, not only when it comes to rugby itself but in general.
Participating in the NRL with your team is honouring and very desired by many industrious individual players and this is because the league attracts the worldwide attention of casual viewers, professionals, as well as NRL betting enthusiasts.
Rugby League betting is tremendously popular among Aussie punters, and numerous online bookies provide NRL betting odds and various markets each year.
Continue reading to discover where to find the best odds and features, and start betting on NRL.
NRL Betting Sites in Australia
Odds for NRL are presented at many online betting sites, and they all offer their own unique betting opportunities which make punting ever-present among Aussie spectators.
Since NRL sports betting is rampant, choosing out of the plethora of online rugby betting sites can sometimes be a long-drawn-out process.
To save your time and nerves, we at OnlineBettingAUS have tailored a list of the best rugby sites where you can safely sign up and place your bets. In order to rate and rank the bookies properly, we scrutinised many aspects of the online betting sites, such as odds NRL, unique features, payment methods, and NRL live betting, among others.
TOP 5 National Rugby League Betting Sites
If you are still in doubt regarding where to register, deposit your money, check NRL odds this weekend, and finally place bets, our list of the top 5 National Rugby League betting sites will surely come in handy.
Bet365 is among the most visited rugby betting sites that offer several NRL betting 2023 opportunities but also provides live streaming and live betting for numerous rugby games. Various unique features, favourable odds, as well as informative articles, and NRL-related news that punters need are available after you register an account.
Besides betting on NRL, with possibly the best market being futures betting, other tournaments and competitions available on the site of Bet365 are State of Origin, RFL Championship, and others. Other than futures, registered Bet365 users can go for margin betting, alternative line betting NRL, total points, etc.
Sportsbet is an online bookie that is licensed and Australian-owned, offering betting odds NRL, and other advantages for all loyal customers. Punters who sign up with an account can get access to a diversity of betting features, such as Live Betting, Live Streams, Multi Betting, and Bet with Mates.
Mobile betting is almost perfected on the mobile version of the official site and the Android and iOS apps of Sportsbet. The bookie provides exceptional mobile betting NRL services and functions for punters from Australia.
Along with the possibility to place NRL bets and choose several markets, Sportsbet also provides odds for the State of Origin, Clive Churchill Medal, NSW Cup, Challenge Cup, and others.
Established in 1997, Unibet is an online bookmaker licensed by the Malta Gaming Authority, but its services are legal and approved by Australia’s Northern Territory government.
Unibet is an excellent platform to place your NRL bets, with an array of possible markets and functions for all beginner or professional rugby punters.
After registering a Unibet account, Aussie bettors can easily place a bet on NRL but also check out the odds of other competitions such as Super Rugby Pacific, NSW Cup, QLD Cup, and Rugby World Cup, etc.
PlayUp is a relatively new online rugby betting site, and it started providing betting services in 2019. This online bookmaker is licensed and operated by the NT Racing Commission.
On the online betting platform of PlayUp, punters can find competitive fixed odds for NRL but also explore other rugby markets such as State of Origin, NSW Cup, as well as Rugby Union internationals, men’s and women’s Rugby World Cup, for instance.
NRL sports betting is very convenient on the site of Palmerbet. This online bookie presents an enjoyable betting experience for all Aussie punters, which is available on its minimalistic website and the all-inclusive mobile app.
The bookmaker is yet to introduce live streaming services for its clients, but it is still regarded among the best rugby sites with great NRL betting odds. Other than rugby, Palmerbet provides 20+ betting markets and great fixed odds.
NRL betting odds are probably the first and most important thing to check when exploring an online betting site. Odds are directly linked with the quantity of your potential payout, and you definitely want to check the offers at several bookies before you actually decide on one.
Placing a smart bet NRL requires patiently hunting for the most favourable odds, and by presenting the top 5 online rugby betting sites, we’ve done at least half of the job on your behalf.
Online sites like Bet365, Unibet, and PlayUp all offer their unique betting features and competitive odds, but it’s best to recheck the markets when you finally decide to bet NRL yourself.
NRL Betting Tips
Reading what experts have to say is wise and recommendable, which is why, every year, our team at OnlineBettingAUS offers the professionals’ NRL sports betting tips exclusively for our loyal readers.
Starting with Sydney Roosters, they are giving off some improved and aiming-for-victory vibes this 2023 season, so it might be a good idea to back them up and get a great price. Their force might be back in the hands of Luke Keary, who’s expected to come back stronger post-injury, and together with James Tedesco and Sam Walker, who did all the work while he was gone, can form an intimidating offence in the upcoming matches. Currently, the odds for a sport bet NRL on the Roosters to reach the Grand Final is 6.0 at Bet365.
Another high-paying team might be the Cronulla Sharks, which surely have the potential to place higher under certain conditions. Provided they stay consistent and get a hold of a new side, they are in for a Grand Final contender from the outsiders. Their price at Bet365 presently is 18.0, and 8.0 to get to the Grand Final.
National Rugby League Betting Strategies
To begin with, Rugby League betting shouldn’t be done with the purpose of earning serious money or as a primary source of income. However, we are all in it for some humble profit, and there are a few NRL betting strategies that might give you a hint on how to beat the bookies and turn NRL betting odds in your favour.
Follow the advice from our expert tipsters and increase your chance of wagering on the highest-paying team this season.
- Always Consult the Form – The form will give you a thorough insight into the previous results of the team you are planning to back, as well as individual results for the players’ markets you are interested in. These results of past performances often turn out to be a real hint as to the team’s or player’s performance in the current regular season.
- Check NRL Statistics – General statistics related to a team also matter, especially if you are planning to wager on the Total Points market. For instance, if you are betting on a match where both teams have a statistical advantage when it comes to offence, then you should probably bet on the ‘Over.’
- Stimulus – Some teams have a more competitive spirit than others and depending on where they rank and what’s at stake, different teams may be differently motivated to score a win.
Most popular NRL Bets from Aussies
The immense array of markets and NRL bets can be overwhelming at times, especially for novice punters who are casually betting the regular margin or match 2-way head-to-head markets.
There are many other National Rugby League betting markets, especially when it comes to future betting. If you aren’t really certain of how the most popular markets function, read the short guide below and get to know the basics of each.
- Premiership Futures / NRL Grand Final Betting – The most basic of them all, this market allows betting on the winner of the Premierships, but punters can also place each-way bets at several bookies, which predict the first two places.
- Top Points Scorer – This individual market enables wagering on the player who will score the maximum number of points throughout a match, season, campaign, etc.
- Betting on Daily M Medal – This market allows betting on the player of the season, and it is among the most wanted individual prizes among players. It is rewarded after the end of every NRL campaign, and it is named in honour of Herbert Henry, the ‘Daily’ Messenger. Jonathan Thurston is the record holder, having acquired 4 of these medals in his career, and he played for the North Queensland Cowboys.
- Clive Churchill Medal Winner – If you choose this market, you can try and predict the best performing player in the Grand Final. The player who wins this medal is specified by the Australian Kangaroos’ management team. This award carries the name of Clive Churchill, who was a legend among players of the Rugby League.
- NRL Wooden Spoon Betting – The not-so-wanted ‘prize’ of them all is the Wooden Spoon, which is given to the team that finishes at the very bottom of the NRL regular-season list. Also known among punters as the ‘Most Losses’ market, this imaginary trophy is very trendy among Australian punters.
- Line Betting NRL and Head-to-Head – These two markets are among the simplest ones, which is why they are also the top choice of most punters. Head-to-head betting involves backing both teams to win the match, while line betting is also known as handicap betting and gives advantageous points to underdogs or subtracts some points from the favourites.
- Multis – Multi implies including several legs on one bet slip, and this is possible at most online betting sites in Australia. Nowadays, some of them also offer the Same Game Multis, one of which is, for instance, PlayUp. However, we always recommend maintaining the number of legs in your multi as low as possible.
- Betting on First Try Scorer – Even though this seems like a far-fetched try, correctly guessing the first try scorer can bring great payouts because the market is often related to high betting odds NRL.
We have tailored an extensive, informative table for all the teams that participate in the NRL, including their city and state of origin, as well as home field details.
|Name of the Club||City||Province/State||Home Field||Capacity|
|Brisbane Broncos||Brisbane||Queensland||Suncorp Stadium||52,500|
|Canberra Raiders||Canberra||Australian Capital Territory||GIO Stadium||25,000|
|Canterbury Bulldogs||Sydney||New South Wales||ANZ Stadium||83,500|
|Cronulla Sharks||Sydney||New South Wales||Nestrada Jubilee Stadium||20,500|
|Gold Toast Titans||Gold Coast||Queensland||Cbus Super Stadium||27,400|
|Manly Sea Eagles||Sydney||New South Wales||Lottoland||23,000|
|Melbourne Storm||Melbourne||Victoria||AAMI Park||30,050|
|New Zealand Warriors||Auckland||New Zealand||Mount Smart Stadium||30,000|
|Newcastle Knights||Newcastle||New South Wales||McDonald Jones Stadium||33,000|
|North Queensland Cowboys||Townsville||Queensland||Queensland Country Bank Stadium||25,000|
|Parramatta Eels||Sydney||New South Wales||Bankwest Stadium||30,000|
|Penrith Panthers||Sydney||New South Wales||Panthers Stadium||22,500|
|South Sydney Rabbitohs||Sydney||New South Wales||ANZ Stadium||83,500|
|St George Illawarra Dragons||Sydney /Wollongong||New South Wales||Nestrada Jubilee Stadium / WIN Stadium||20,500/23,000|
|Sydney Roosters||Sydney||New South Wales||Sydney Cricket Ground||48,000|
|Wests Tigers||Sydney||New South Wales||Leichhardt Oval /Campbelltown Stadium||20,000/20,000|
NRL Premiership Winners
In the table below, you can find all the data regarding the winners of the NRL Premiership from 2000 onwards. Note that there isn’t a noted winner in 2007 and 2009, and this is because the Melbourne Storm, who finished victorious both years, were taken away their title because they breached the salary limits.
|2021||Penrith Panthers||14-12||South Sydney Rabbitohs|
|2020||Melbourne Storm||26-20||North Queensland Cowboys|
|2019||Sydney Roosters||14-8||Canberra Raiders|
|2018||Sydney Roosters||21-6||Melbourne Storm|
|2017||Melbourne Storm||34-6||North Queensland Cowboys|
|2016||Cronulla Sharks||14-12||Melbourne Storm|
|2015||North Queensland Cowboys||26-18||Brisbane Broncos|
|2014||South Sydney Rabbitohs||30-6||Canterbury Bulldogs|
|2013||Sydney Roosters||26-18||Manly Sea Eagles|
|2012||Melbourne Storm||14-4||Canterbury Bulldogs|
|2011||Manly Sea Eagles||24-10||New Zealand Warriors|
|2010||St. George Illawarra Dragons||32-8||Sydney Roosters|
|2009||Title Denied||23-16||Parramatta Eels|
|2008||Manly Sea Eagles||40-0||Melbourne Storm|
|2007||Title Denied||34-8||Manly Sea Eagles|
|2006||Brisbane Broncos||15-8||Melbourne Storm|
|2005||West Tigers||30-16||North Queensland Cowboys|
|2004||Canterbury Bulldogs||16-13||Sydney Roosters|
|2003||Penrith Panthers||18-6||Sydney Roosters|
|2002||Sydney Roosters||30-8||New Zealand Warriors|
|2001||Newcastle Knights||30-24||Parramatta Eels|
|2000||Brisbane Broncos||14-6||Sydney Roosters|
NRL Live Betting
Live betting NRL is sternly regulated by the Australian governing bodies, and the Interactive Gambling Act issued in 2001 forbids placing online in-play bets on any online bookmaker’s site.
However, many bookies have found their way around this law and offer Aussie punters exceptional live NRL odds on their official websites. This is because instead of placing a bet online, you can simply call a casino representative via a dedicated landline used only for live betting, and by talking to them, you place your in-play bet.
Many sites on our list offer live NRL odds, and you can sign up on the platforms of Unibet, Bet365, or Palmerbet and enjoy NRL live betting.
NRL Live Streaming
Online bookies often provide the possibility of watching a live stream of a certain sports match or a race straight from their official online websites.
Bet365 and Unibet have live streaming services of hundreds of sports games and horse races from all over Australia, as well as worldwide. However, unfortunately, we weren’t able to find a sports betting site that offers NRL live streaming.
Best NRL betting Apps
Mobile betting is taking over the industry’s scene, which is why many online bookies develop their own designated mobile betting apps so punters can place their preferred wagers on the go.
All of the recommended bookmakers on our list have produced all-encompassing, reliable mobile apps which offer quality punting from anywhere you are. All the bookies we have mentioned above have an Android and iOS mobile app, and here are the features you can enjoy when betting NRL via mobile.
- Special features such as live streams and in-play betting;
- Good odds for NRL matches on mobile;
- A vast choice of betting markets;
- Simplistic designs and user-friendly apps.